Learn how to apply eye shadow for the most flattering look… Top tips from Cosmetologist, Kristine Locke. Find out how to apply your eye shadow perfectly in these TOP 13 beauty tips for perfect eye shadow every time.
Your makeup is an accessory, and it’s as important to your finished look as the clothing you wear. In fact, it can actually be more important. Have you ever spotted women who didn’t have a clue how to apply their eye shadow? Of course, we all have… But we’ve also seen women who know how to apply it properly and they look put together and beautiful, even if they have their hair just thrown back in a ponytail. Don’t you want to be one of those women? Of course – and I’m going to give you some top tips so you can do just that.
I know what you’re probably thinking… It looks really hard to apply eye make-up correctly. Only professionals know how to do it correctly. I could never do it like that. It probably takes a lot of time. Am I right?
Well, surprisingly getting the perfect look for you really isn’t difficult at all, and you don’t need to be a professional Make Up Artist or Cosmetologist to do it! It really is just a matter of finding the right technique and look for you and your personal style. Once you get the hang of it, it will take you hardly any time at all. Don’t worry if it takes a few tries to get it right. Practice makes perfect!
Check out these tips:
- Always apply a base coat on your eyes just as you do to the rest of your face. I personally first use a base of Avon’s BB cream in the medium shade (I have medium skin color), and I also use Avon’s mineral foundation in medium. I absolutely LOVE these products! I apply it over my entire face including my eye area. It gives a nice even palette to work with.
- If you have under eye circles like I do, then you will also want to use a concealer. A common mistake with concealer is to get a shade lighter than your own skin and apply it over the dark area. DON’T do that. You will end up highlighting the problem, and making it look worse. INSTEAD, use as close of shade to your skin tone as possible for the under eye area, then you can use a shade lighter than your natural skin color just BELOW the dark area, NOT ON IT. Do it this way, and VOILA, those dark under eye circles have disappeared. I can also recommend a great skin care product that will help to reduce your dark under-eye circles as well.
- If you want dramatic eyes, take your eye shadow brush, dip it into water, blot excess moisture off on a paper towel, then dip the damp eye shadow brush into the shadow, then apply. It will give you a much deeper, dramatic color.
- Be sure to pat your eye shadow on. Don’t flick it around.
- If you have blue eyes, wear deeper shades to make your eyes pop. You do NOT want to wear blue eyeshadow if you have blue eyes. Blue eyeshade on blue eyes won’t bring out your blue eyes, but will more blend with it. To make them pop, use contrasting shades. Brown shades look great with blue eyes, and will really make them stand out. Purple, violet, taupe, gray, and black will also look good. Funky colors that will compliment your baby blues include fuchsia, turquoise, and silver.
- If you have green eyes, wear purple, plum, forest green, brown, and khaki. Funky colors that will compliment your green eyes include gold, and bright purple.
- If you have brown eyes, DON’T wear shades of brown. They will not bring out your brown eyes, but will more drown them out. Wear shades such as green, champagne, copper, apricot, khaki, blue and purple. Funky colors include royal blue, tangerine, hand hot pink and light green.
- Apply a lighter shadow in the inner corner of the eye to reflect and make your eyes look younger.
- If you want your eyes to appear larger, use a light color on the inner corner, and a darker shade in the middle of the eye area.
10. Practice until you get the application of your eye shadow down to a science. When you get good, your make up will look more natural and more polished.
11. Apply your dark shadow only to the eyelids from the lash line to the crease in the eyelid. Apply your medium shadow from just below the eyelid crease to the brow bone.
12. Highlight along the brow bone. Doing it this way will make your features stand out naturally and beautifully.
13. Blend, blend, and then blend some more. I can’t stress this enough. Try an experiment. Blend one eye and then just use a brush and apply the other eye. You’ll instantly know what I’m talking about and you’ll never forget to blend again.
So there you have it. With these top tips you now know how to apply your eye shadow so you will look your best.
Remember that while you’re practicing all these steps, that you should take notice of what works best for you. Practice by yourself, or practice with a friend if you find it easier to ask someone else’s opinion.
And one more thing. If you make your face more youthful looking with wrinkle creams that gives results, then any make up that you have will be so much more effective.
So go for it and get gorgeous right away!
Avon has some fabulous shadows and skin care products. Shop my online store for all of your beauty needs, and if you have any questions about which products may be right for you, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m happy to help!